Monday, October 18, 2010

Is It Over Yet???

Every once in a blue moon, less often for David Gregory, an interviewer asks a relevant question.  Sometimes they even make an astute comment.  Not about whether Christine O'Donnell is competent, or what are the voters angry about.  Questions like, what do you propose to do about low wages, poor schools, internet access for all?

Lots of good questions, and when they are asked, the candidates tend to scurry into a corner like roaches, using pat phrases like "ensure the safety of our homeland", "giving businesses the opportunity to compete", and "strong families are the true strength of America".  Now, I didn't make those phrases up; they came directly from Jim Demint's web site, and you have to know I didn't spend too much time wandering around in there to find that stuff.  There is only so much a thinking person can be expected to take.

The point is, those pat phrases are like the oil that once floated in the Gulf and is now coating the bottom.  And, to mix metaphors in an unappetizing sort of way, they are the meat and potatoes of election season.

I miss Tim Russert, but before he died, I would watch Meet the Press and yell at him because, since the election of 2006, he had been obsessed with the campaign of 2008, and not in a good way, but in a gossipy, sporting event kind of way.

I'm tired of hearing about Carl Paladino's dirty nasty emails and about Christine O'Donnell and witches -- have we all missed that in her ad denying she is a witch, and the creepy "I'm you" (no, you're not), she tossed out the same meaningless crap about the bad stuff Congress is doing in Washington and that she won't do.  And let's not expect her, or anyone else, to get more specific than that.

And if one does happen to back one of them into a corner, for example about jobs, the answer is always, renew the tax cuts, or better, stop trying to raise taxes.

So, I'm exhausted.  I keep watching and listening, but I can't imagine I'll hear anything new.  I just wish Matt Taibbi would do his next interview on Olbermann in his Viking costume.

No comments: