Monday, October 25, 2010

I Worry

I know, I worry too much.  The world tends to go on, people forget that some foods used to be more readily available, and we eventually just live without.  Teachers make do with whatever budget shortfalls they routinely have to deal with.  Parents accept that maybe their children won't get the best education, won't go to Harvard, won't end up with a well-paying job with good benefits.  We all accept that we now have to pay -- a lot -- out of pocket for health insurance, which doesn't insure us being healthy anymore.  Our jobs may make us sick or injured because they are stretching us too thin (increased productivity).  We may be fired so that people can  be hired at lower pay, and even offered the lower paying jobs, to be fair.  When our company gets downsized, the stock market goes up.  The folks who go on and on about values are the ones who expect us to work two jobs to make ends meet while we try to raise our children to be healthy and moral.

All this, and much more, I worry about.  But right now, at the end of October, 2010, I worry about how people are not involved in the coming election.  There is no one, not one person, that I work with, who will carry on a discussion with me about the candidates.  And here in South Carolina, there is so much that we need to talk about.

Outside of my political affiliations, and an occasional furtive few words with a customer, it is unacceptable to talk about what is going on politically.  Apparently.  And that is what I worry about now, one week before this important election.

No comments: