Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Unsolicited Two Cents

Since I am an America, and it is 9/11, I feel I must also tell you what I think.

I think it is past time we leave the people who lost loved ones in the attack to their grieving and mind our own damned business about what New Yorkers should do.

It was an attack on a major US financial center, not a church.  I too was fearful that  my children and I were no longer safe, and over the nine years since I am thankful that our country is well protected, and we can go about our lives with only the frisking at airports to remind us of the attack.

Sadly, we as a nation were so fearful we trusted our Commander-in-Chief, the smaller President Bush, to start a war we would not ever have supported otherwise.

We abandoned Afgan citizens when they needed us, allowing the Taliban to once again take root.  We left Iraq with thousands dead, living in neighborhoods that still lack basic needs like electricity, and in continued fear of attacks by Al Quaeda and other militant groups.

We have abandoned our own Muslim citizens as well as our  belief in individual and religious freedoms, in order to wail hysterically about our grief.

It is not our grief.  We need to stop warmongering here at home, and if we can't build on our country's ideals, and help those who have been hurt, in the attack and in fighting our wars, we need to shut the hell up.

No comments: