Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Defending Her Own Freedom

I don't need to hear Christine O'Donnell talk about how she experimented with witchcraft in high school anymore.  However, when Chris Matthews interviewed Bill Maher on Hardball, he put her comments in a little better perspective.

I am also not too concerned by whether or not Christine dabbled in witchcraft in high school.  I'm not concerned that she fooled around on a slab that she hadn't noticed was a satanic altar.  I'm not going to say, "All kids do it," but I have to admit that many years ago I dabbled in things not witchcraft, but which would not have made my parents proud or happy.

Teens rebel.  They sometimes get into trouble, hurt themselves and/or their futures, give their families great pain.

I allowed my daughter, as a teen, to drink in my home.  I don't believe that one magically learns to drink at 21.

If a teen experiments with sex, I think it's important for a parent or other trusted adult to be available to listen, and to help that teen get through the angst of learning about intimacy.

I don't believe that someone who was able to "experiment" with sex, witchcraft, drugs, or anything else of which she may now disapprove, has the right to dictate how other families should experience the teenage years.

That is what is wrong with the right wing proclaimers of values.  Their values may or may not be my values.  They appear to believe that their freedoms DO NOT END where I begin.

So keep in mind when you are chuckling at Christine's escapades, that when she gets to Congress, she will be as passionate about dictating your moral values as she was about "dabbling in witchcraft".

No comments: